Hi all –
JOBS @ A YARD & A HALF
Come GROW with Us!
A Yard & A Half Landscaping Cooperative, Inc.
26 Thayer Road
Waltham, MA 02453
A Yard & A Half Landscaping Cooperative, Inc. is a 20-person landscape design, installation &
maintenance company. We are hiring team members for our landscape construction and maintenance crews.
- Safe operation of power equipment, trucks, and trailers.
- Ensuring customer satisfaction with job performed.
- Positive attitude toward work, customers, and crew leader.
- Contributing ideas and opinions to assist with crew and company decision-making.
- Performing work in accordance with high quality and company standards.
- Valid MA driver’s license and good driving record.
- Ability to work in all weather and lift 50 lbs.
- Spanish-English bilingual a plus.
- A Yard & A Half is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
A Yard & A Half Landscaping was founded by Eileen Michaels in 1988. Over the years, she grew the company to over $2 million in annual sales by guaranteeing all of the company’s work and investing in
its employees. In preparation for retirement, Eileen offered the employees the chance to buy the company, and we incorporated as a worker-owned cooperative. The company has historically operated with open books, shared profits with employees, and involved employees in decision-making, so the cooperative model is a natural step for us.
We have received guidance in the transition from members of WORC’N, including Boston
Collective Delivery, Equal Exchange, Community Builders, and Red Sun Press, as well as Namaste Solar. We plan to continue a slow but steady growth pattern, so that current members can grow in our careers and areas of interest, while creating opportunities for right livelihood for others in our community.
Every employee has an opportunity to become a co-owner of the company, with one vote per person.
We currently have 11 employee-owners, representing all positions within the company, from laborers
to managers. Average candidacy period is three years, during which employees can begin accumulating owner equity through payroll deductions. Share price is $7,500, which does not appreciate/depreciate.
Co-owners democratically decide how much profit to pay out as dividends. When employees leave the
company, they receive back their original share price, plus any dividends retained by the co-op as
written notices of allocation. All co-owners can participate in board meetings. We review financials with all co-owners and employees at least quarterly.
Recognized by Inc. Magazine as a “Winning Workplace”, A Yard & A Half offers comprehensive benefits designed to meet the needs of all our employees:
- Medical & dental insurance
- Simple-IRA retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation
- Paid holidays
- Profit sharing
- Uniforms, boot & rain gear reimbursement
- Tuition reimbursement
For information on open positions or to submit your resume, email: